IGAP FY 2012
The goal of the IGAP, Indian Environmental General Assistance Program, is to assist tribes in building capacity to administer tribal environmental programs. This grant is federally funded by the EPA, Environmental Protection Agency. Through this grant the Environmental Department was created in 2008 for our tribe. This year we are focusing on recycling, environmental research, and education.
GAP Component Areas:
- Building Administrative Capacity
- Building Programmatic and Technical Capacity
- Building Communication Capacity
- Building Solid Waste Management Capacity
- Increase tribal capacity to get and effectively manage grants well
- Increase tribal program capacity to address and respond to local environmental issues
- Increase in staff, Council, youth, and community actions protective of the environment
- Increase in technical assistance and funding sought and obtained by tribe
- Decrease in behaviors and actions harmful to the environment
- Decrease in the amount of improperly disposed of solid waste in the community
- Reduction in hazards in community and pollution in our air, water and soil
- Increase in safety, quality and safety of traditional use areas and subsistence resources
- Decrease in amount of recyclables and potentially hazardous wastes entering landfill
- Decrease in pollution of air, water, and soil from landfill and improper disposal of solid waste
- Increase staff, Council, youth and community knowledge of environmental issues and protection
- Increase staff and Council knowledge of technical resources and funding opportunities
- Increased staff, Council and community knowledge of environmental issues, mitigation measures, and the importance of a healthy environment
- Increase in staff, Council and community participation in information sharing on potential impacts to land, air and water.
- Increase community involvement and participation in environmental program activities
- Increase in staff, Council, community and other agency awareness of Old Harbor landfill and solid waste issues
- Increase in proper back-haul and disposal of recyclables and solid waste in the community
All activities and work must lead towards progress on both the long-term and short-term outcomes of the grant.
Together we can protect our environment for the future.
Native Village of Old Harbor Environmental Department
PO Box 62, Old Harbor, AK 99643
Bobbi Anne Barnowsky - Environmental Director